The trend is also known as the ‘choking challenge’, the ‘pass-out challenge’ and ‘space monkey’
A dangerous challenge has resurfaced on TikTok and another child has reportedly died as a result of the sick game.
A 12-year-old girl in Argentina named Milagros Soto was found lifeless at her home on January 13 after attempting the “blackout challenge”.
The victim’s aunt, Laura Luque, told local media that her niece had filmed the whole incident and that she believes someone encouraged her to take part in it.
The challenge encourages people to choke themselves with household items until they become unconscious and film the adrenaline rush once they regain consciousness.
Having been around since at least 2008, it started making the rounds on TikTok again back in 2021 and is now making headlines again.
Parents should look out for their child talking about the game. The trend is also known as the ‘choking challenge’, the ‘pass-out challenge’, the ‘pass–out game’, the ‘black-out game’, ‘space monkey’ or the ‘scarf game’.
Other signs to be vigilant over include bloodshot eyes, marks on the neck, headaches and items like ropes, scarves, dog leashes, cords or belts tied to bedroom furniture or doorknobs or found knotted on the floor.
A Bloomberg report last November said that the challenge has been linked to the deaths of at least 15 children aged 12 or younger in the past 18 months.
Families of some of the children have sued TikTok, claiming that the platform’s algorithm promotes videos of other people doing the challenge.
According to The Independent, a TikTok spokesperson said: “This disturbing ‘challenge,’ which people seem to learn about from sources other than TikTok, long predates our platform and has never been a TikTok trend. We remain vigilant in our commitment to user safety and would immediately remove related content if found. Our deepest sympathies go out to the family for their tragic loss.”